We organize our research into four areas implemented by research groups and a joint focus:
- Atmospheric Remote Sensing and Climate System Research (ARSCliSys group)
- Regional Climate group
- Economics of Climate and Environmental Change Research (EconClim group)
- Social Complexity & System Transformation Research Group (SoCo group)
- Joint Research Focus Hydrological Extremes in a Changing Climate (RF HydExClim)
These WEGC research areas are strategically embedded in a seamless manner into the overall research core area Environment and Global Change (EGC):
- the globally oriented research of ARSCliSys, ClimEMet, and EconClim into the EGC joint focus GlobEOS–Global Earth Observation and Stewardship in Climate & Environmental Change,
- the research of ReLoClim, the regional- and local-scale research of ARSCliSys, ClimEMet, and EconClim, and the research under the RegIMOS joint focus into the EGC joint focus RegIMOS–Regional Integrated Modeling and Studies in Climate & Environmental Change, and
- the human dimensions oriented research of EconClim into the EGC joint focus HDChange–Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change.
A focus region is Austria/Styria in the global context for studies with high resolution in time and space, e.g. innovative climate-, environmental-, and economical-modeling from regional to local scale.