|Project name:||ALTERNET Ö - EU Network of Excellence ALTERNet: Pilotstudie Österreich|
|Project leader:||Birgit Bednar-Friedl|
|Project team:||Katharina Eberhard|
|Partners:||SERI (Sustainable Europe Research Institute), Umweltbundesamt|
|EU FP 6 Network of Excellence|
|Duration:||Oct. 2008 - Mar. 2009|
The EU Network of Excellence ALTER-Net (http://www.alter-net.info/) aims at improving and linking the management of the diversity of plants, animals and habitats. ALTER-Net consists of 24 research institutions in 17 countries. Within RA 5 we conduct case studies (a pilot survey) in eight European countries on the perception of biodiversity by residents, in particular their perceptions of observed changes in nature and loss of endangered species and habitats as well as their opinions towards conservation measures. In Austria, the case study region is covered by the Long Term Socio-Ecological Research (LSTER) site Eisenwurzen, which is coordinated by the project partner Federal Environment Agency (UBA). In particular, we address the following questions:
- What are the values of nature for residents (distinguishing rural, semi-urban, urban)?
- Which changes are observed, which are perceived as important by people?
- From the people’s standpoint: which institutions should act to halt degradation? Which measures are adequate?
- Which socio-economic factors inform environmental awareness and environmentally conscious behaviour?
- Which differences exist across countries?